Figure 25 Identification of the components utilized in a typical automotive charging system
Power source when engine off. Supplies electrical current:
- when ignition switch is in ACC or ON position; or
- to start the car.
|FUSE LINK: Protects alternator wiring and diodes from damage if:
- a short-to-ground occurs;
- battery polarity is reversed.
|ALTERNATOR: Power source when engine
running. Converts mechanical energy Into electrical energy to:
- charge the battery; or
- supply current to car's electrical system
|VOLTAGE REGULATOR: Controls alternator voltage output to prevent the charging system from:
- overcharging; or
- connect charging system components.
|AMMETER/ INDICATOR LIGHT:
Visually indicates charging system problem by:
- light glowing (indicator light); or
- registering overcharge or undercharge (ammeter).